My photo
Greg Taylor is a digital marketing professional and a music photographer from Tempe, AZ -originally from Warren, NJ. Feel free to email me with any questions regarding my company GRT2 Studios, marketing, photography or music at grtaylor@mac.com

Sunday, December 6, 2009

When Is Familiarity Important? Three Part Series - Part ONE

Yesterday I commented on a "How to photograph skateboarding" article and it got me thinking - When is it important to be familiar with your subject? I'll stay with skateboarding for a moment...

If you don't know skateboarding the chances of you taking a great (not just good) skateboard photo in minimal. There are so many subtle nuances in skateboarding that make a great shot. With that being said these nuances that are predictable when you know the athlete and the sport. Here's a photo of Neal Hendrix I shot at The Skatepark of Tampa / Tampa Pro.  Neal is a perfect example. As a skateboarder he is super consistent and since was a contest run he was doing the same tricks in the same parts of the ramp - which is typical of contest runs and in practice. But if you didn't know Neal or the tricks he was doing - you would be at a severe disadvantage. (Thanks Neal for being a good example.)

I ask myself constantly - "Why am I shooting this?" Many times the answer is "because I want to" or simply "this looks cool." I'm fine with any answer that makes someone pick up a camera but if you go back to the why - it's something that interests you - right? Why else would you want to capture that moment in time?

With all that being said sometimes the subject is something that doesn't take a long time to get familiar with. In the next posts of this series I'll give examples of different subjects: subjects that I had to get to know well before I made a great picture and others that I familiarized myself quickly with before a great photo was made.


(Note: Thanks for reading my blog. Please post comments as you see fit or send me an email (grtaylor2@mac.com) with any questions etc.)








2 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to shoot a few of the skate parks here in Chicago so this is very timely for me...thanks, John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks John. Please feel free to email me with any specific questions regarding skateboard photography.

    ReplyDelete